As a parent, you must be worried when you see your child who looks thinner than children his age. Especially if you and your partner are fertile and overweight parents. Children who are too thin or too fat can actually be caused by various factors. If it’s not genetic, it could be a poor appetite.
This problem should not need to worry too much as long as the doctor declares your child in a healthy condition. However, if you still feel that her weight is not ideal enough, there are several ways to increase the weight of a child you can do. Here’s how to increase the weight of a child who is too thin.
Some Ways to Increase Children’s Weight
To increase the child’s weight, usually parents only focus on the portion of food your child eats. In fact, increasing the portion of food is not the only way to raise a child’s weight. So that your baby’s weight can rise quickly, you should follow the method below.
1. Give high calorie foods
Generally, children aged 2 – 3 years need approximately 1,000 kcal per day, while children aged 4 – 8 years need 1,200 – 1,400 kcal every day. To increase your child’s weight to be more ideal, you can add a calorie intake of 500 kcal of the total daily calorie needs of your child.
In this way, children can get an additional 5 ounces of calories per week. This figure is considered appropriate for children who are underweight. Healthy, high-calorie food choices include eggs, bananas, avocados, chicken, salmon, and so on.
2. Create a regular eating schedule
How to gain weight the next child can be done by making a regular eating schedule. Teach your child to eat on time. This method can not only increase body weight gradually but also can make it more disciplined.
Ma’am, don’t let your child skip his eating hour because this will only make his appetite decrease or disappear. Therefore, make it a habit for your child to eat 3 times a day with 2 interludes between normal meals.
3. Add fat intake
Many people deliberately avoid fat intake in order to maintain their weight. However, for this one case, your child needs to be given additional fat intake. Because, 1 gram of fat contains more calories than other sources of nutrition.
Even so, provide a good source of fat for your child to support growth and development. Some recommended fat sources include olive oil, canola oil, butter, avocado, peanut butter, and trans-fat mayonnaise. Additional 1 tablespoon of one of these ingredients can increase the number of calories up to 45-120 kcal.
4. Add carbohydrate intake
Not only fat intake that must be added, carbohydrate intake must also be added to the child’s daily menu. No need to provide more rice portions, you can work around this by providing high-carbohydrate snacks. For example dried fruits, granola, and oatmeal.
250 grams of one of these ingredients contains at least 240 kcal. Obviously a proportionate amount to gain weight of a child. You can process these ingredients into pudding filling or just add the little one’s favorite yogurt.
5. Give a healthier drink
If your child is difficult to eat, siasati by providing other healthy menus, such as fruit juices or smoothies. Choose fruits that your child likes or fruits that already have a sweet taste so you don’t need to add additional sweeteners. To taste better, add plain yogurt or low-fat cow’s milk.
Compared to plain water, this type of calorie drink is certainly more easily accepted by children. Because basically kids really like sweet food and drinks.
6. Don’t let the child drink too much when eating
Limiting the amount of drinking when eating can also be used as a way to gain weight in children. This is because a lot of drinking when eating will only make your child feel full quickly. If you have this, even your planned calorie goals will not be achieved. As a solution, provide food so that children can chew food more easily.
7. Make a larger portion
If your child likes to eat, you can provide additional food such as a glass of milk and pieces of fruit. Or, you can serve a larger portion, from one bowl of white bread to two cups of toast.
Food Recipe Creation to Help Increase Child Weight
In order to increase the child’s weight, parents must be observant in choosing the best intake for their children. High-calorie foods so the right choice to add to your child’s daily calories every day. But unfortunately, not all children have a good appetite.
On average most children are very picky about food. They just want to eat food that he thinks is good. Therefore, parents must be smart in making food without losing the nutritional value.
The key, do not make the same food every day so that children do not get bored. If you are confused about choosing the right recipe, BukaReview has several recipe choices that you can try at home. Here it is the creation of food recipes to increase children’s weight.
1. Carrot Chicken Nuggets
Nugget is one of the frozen foods that kids love. Instead of buying it at the supermarket, it’s better to make it yourself by adding some healthier ingredients.
– 500 grams of chicken meat, minced
– 1 large carrot, peeled and roughly shaved
– ½ onion, coarse shaved
– 3 cloves of garlic, puree
– 2 eggs
– 2 tablespoons tapioca flour
– 1.5 teaspoons ground pepper
– 1 teaspoon salt
– 1 teaspoon sugar
– 1 tablespoon fish sauce
– 4 tablespoons of panir flour
– 5 tablespoons of mayonnaise
– 2 eggs, shake loose
– Panir flour to taste
How to make:
1. Prepare a bowl, add chicken and carrots, stir well. Add all ingredients one by one and stir until blended
2. Prepare a baking sheet and spread with oil to prevent it from sticking. Pour the mixture in the prepared baking sheet and flatten the surface
3. Steam for less than 30 minutes until cooked
4. Let stand and cut into nuggets
5. Dip the sliced nuggets in the egg, then roll it over the panir flour
6. Fry in hot oil until browned. Lift and set aside
2. Chicken Pizza Bread
One of the ingredients that is very easy to process is bread. You can make pizza from the basic ingredients of white bread with additional toppings that your child likes.
– 150 grams of fillet chicken breast, diced
– 1 teaspoon garlic powder
– ½ teaspoon black pepper
– ½ teaspoon salt
– 1 tomato, diced
– ½ paprika, diced
– 1 onion, diced
– ½ teaspoon tomato sauce
– Mozzarella cheese and cheddar cheese to taste
– 2 pieces of white bread
How to make:
1. Saute the chicken until cooked, then season with garlic powder, black pepper, and grams
2. Add vegetables such as tomatoes, peppers and onions. Cook until all the vegetables are cooked
3. Prepare white bread, spread with tomato sauce. Then add chicken and vegetables to the top and sprinkle with cheddar cheese and mozzarella cheese
4. Bake the chicken pizza bread until the cheese has melted
3. Meat Team Rice
This recipe can also be used as a choice for your child who has less weight. With the combination of rice and meat, the child’s daily calorie intake can be fulfilled.
– 1 bowl of white rice
– 100 grams of beef
– 150 ml of beef broth
– 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
– 1 teaspoon soy sauce
– 1 tablespoon soy sauce
– 1 teaspoon oyster sauce
– Sugar, salt and pepper to taste
How to make:
1. Saute the garlic until fragrant, add the meat and saute until it changes color. Season with enough salt, sugar and pepper. Stir well
2. Add all the spices and stir until delicious and cooked. Set aside
3. Pour the stir-fried meat in the bottom of the team’s rice mold, cover with rice and pour the broth. Steam the team rice for 15 minutes or until the broth is absorbed and used up
4. Lift the team rice and remove it from the mold. Ready to be served warm
4. Spinach Tofu Rolade
These recipe creations can be stored in the freezer as a side dish for your child. Besides being delicious and nutritious, this recipe is also very easy to make.
– 1 bunch of spinach, siangi
– 1 piece of tofu box
– 2 eggs
– 5 cloves of garlic, puree
– 1 cm shrimp paste, burn
– 1 teaspoon salt
– 3 tablespoons flour
– 2 tablespoons rice flour
– Salt to taste
– Banana leaf / aluminum foil / plastic as packaging material
How to make:
1. Boil spinach, until cooked, drain, cut into pieces
2. Crush the tofu and mix it with spinach, shrimp paste and spices
3. Mix with eggs and stir well. Squeeze spinach and tofu so that the dough is not too wet
4. Put it in a long, steamed plastic container for about 30 minutes or until cooked and solid. Let it cool
5. Cut the rolade. Mix the flour ingredients with a little water. Roll the rolade and fry until cooked and crispy
5. Creamy Strawberry Oatmeal Smoothies
– 175 grams of strawberries, freeze
– 250 grams of vanilla yogurt
– 5 tablespoons oatmeal
– 250 ml of milk
How to make:
1. Put strawberries, yogurt, and milk into a blender or food processor, then grind until half smooth
2. Enter the oatmeal, grind again until smooth evenly. Serve in large glasses
Those are some ways to gain weight you can do. But keep in mind that this process takes time so you must not force your child to eat whatever you serve on the table.
If your child still doesn’t want to eat his food, try to create your dish with the recipe choices above. Most importantly, you have to be patient until your child wants to eat well.
Even if the child has eaten well but his body is still thin, you don’t need to worry. Keep providing a balanced nutritional intake so that growth and development are not interrupted. As it grows, the child’s weight will increase.
Cheer up, yes, ma’am!