If your Windows 10 Laptop or Computer is connected to public or neighboring WiFi, then you can also use the WiFi on other devices. You can use the WiFi network even though it has a password. The way you can do to find out the WiFi password is to look through a connected Windows 10 Laptop.
You can see or know the password of a WiFi network on Windows 10. But, this method can only be done if you have previously or are currently connected to the WiFi network.
For example, if you are online on a Laptop using a neighbor’s or a friend’s WiFi and the password is entered by that friend without notifying you, then you can see the password that was entered. Thus, after you know the WiFi password, it can now be used on other devices. Or, if you forget your home WiFi password, you can see the password on a laptop that has previously been connected.
How to see or know the WiFi password on Windows 10
As said before that you can easily see and know WiFi passwords using Windows 10. So, if you want to connect from a Smartphone or other device to a WiFi network but don’t know the password, then please use this method. With notes, the Windows Laptop that you use to do this method has already been connected to the WiFi network.
To do this also does not require special tools or software. Please choose one of the following methods that you want to use.
1. Viewing WiFi Passwords Using Command Prompt (CMD)
The first way you can do to see WiFi passwords on a Windows 10 laptop is to use CMD. It is well known that CMD or Command Prompt is a Windows-built all-round tool. So, you don’t need to install it because it’s already available by default.
To see the WiFi password using Command Prompt (CMD), the way to do it is very easy. To be more clear, please follow the following steps.
- Please open CMD on the Windows 10 laptop you are using. The trick is to open the Start Menu then type “cmd”, then in the search results that appear please click Command Prompt.
- Make sure which WiFi you want to see the password for, to see the WiFi list then please type the command
netsh wlan show profilesthen press Enter.
- If you already know the WiFi name that you want to see the password for, please type the command
netsh wlan show profiles name="Nama WiFi" key=clearthen press Enter. Be sure to write the WiFi Name in quotation marks if it consists of two or more words.
- After the results appear, please pay attention to the section Key Content which is the WiFi password.
Thus now you already know the WiFi password using CMD. Now you can connect to the WiFi network from other devices.
2. Viewing WiFi Passwords Through Properties
The second way you can use if you want to find out the WiFi password on a Windows 10 computer is to look at it in Properties. But, in order to be able to use this method, the Laptop used must be connected to the WiFi network.
This method is also very easy to do, even easier than the first method because there is no need to type the command code. To be more clear, please follow the steps below.
- Please connect your Laptop or Desktop PC to the WiFi network that you want to see the password for.
- If it’s already connected, right-click on the WiFi icon found on the Windows 10 taskbar.
- In the options that appear, please click Open Network & Internet settings to open network settings.
- In the window Settings, please scroll go down then search and click Network and Sharing Center.
- In the window Network and Sharing Center, please click the name of the WiFi that is currently connected, i.e. in the section Connections.
- In the window WiFi Status, please click Wireless Properties to see the details of the WiFi network.
- In the window Wireless Network Properties, please click the tab Security.
- To display the WiFi password, please check the checkbox Show characters.
After the WiFi password is visible, you can also use the WiFi network from other devices.
Weaknesses Both of the Above Ways
By using the above method you can find out the available WiFi passwords in the surrounding area. But there is a weakness, where this method will only work if the WiFi was previously connected to the Desktop PC or Laptop used.
So if you are targeting a friend’s WiFi, please use this method on a friend’s Desktop PC or Laptop. This is because he must have connected the WiFi to his laptop.
That’s an easy way to view or find out WiFi passwords using Windows 10. So, if you want to find out WiFi passwords that you have previously used or forgot your WiFi password at home, then please use this method. In addition to Windows 10, the two ways above can also be done on Windows 8.1 and Windows 7.