Windows 10 is the latest operating system released by Microsoft. Many do not consider that Windows 10 currently in circulation is only one type. In fact, there are many versions of Windows 10 that have been circulating starting from the initial version to the latest version at this time. Therefore, you need to check the version of Windows 10 installed on your laptop to find out which version to use using the following method.
It is common knowledge that Windows 10 releases major updates or feature updates twice a year. So, every time you install the major Windows 10 update, the version of Windows 10 installed on your Laptop or Desktop PC will change. And of course each version of Windows 10 has different features, where the more recent Windows 10 is used, will have more features.
You need to check the version of Windows 10 that is used to know that Windows 10 that is used is the latest or not. If it turns out you have not used the latest version, then please install the major updates available. If you always use the updated Windows 10, of course it will get many benefits. One of them is always getting the latest features and also the latest security patches. (Also read: How to Use Gmail in the Windows 10 Mail Application)
How to Check Windows 10 Versions Installed on a Laptop
As said before that you need to check the version of Windows 10 to make sure that the Windows 10 used is the latest. If it turns out not yet the latest, then you can immediately update.
Or, you want to know the version of Windows 10 because it is a condition when you want to install certain software on the laptop. Sometimes there is software that can only be installed if you use a certain minimum version of Windows 10. That is, if the version of Windows 10 is below the minimum version and you do not know the version of Windows 10 that is used, then the software might fail to install without you knowing the cause. If you already know which version of Windows 10 is used, then at least you can do an update if it doesn’t meet the minimum version.
The Windows 10 version code itself consists of four digit numbers, which consist of the last 2 digits of the year then followed by 2 digits of the month of the initial major release. For example, if the major Windows 10 update was released in April 2020, then the Windows 10 version code is 2004. The number 20 is the last two digits of 2020, then the number 04 is April. Please note that, the release month may be different from the month of the release of the major Windows 10 update to the public, it could be one or two months late.
How to check the version of Windows 10 that is already installed on a Laptop or Desktop PC is actually very easy to do. You do not need special software because it can be done using the default Windows 10 tools. To do this, please choose one of the following methods.
1. Viewing Windows 10 Versions Through Windows Settings
The first way you can do to check which version of Windows 10 is installed on your laptop is through Windows Settings. How to do the first way is very easy, please follow the following steps.
- Open, please Settings on the Windows 10 laptop you are using. The trick is please click Start Menu, then click Settings.
- In the window Settings, please click System to open settings and information about Windows 10 systems.
- In the next window, please scroll down in the left pane and click About to display information about Windows 10 that you are using.
- In the right panel, please scroll down and find the section Windows specifications which is a specification of Windows 10 that you use. To find out the version of Windows 10, then please look at the section Version which is the version of Windows 10 that you are using.
After you know the version of Windows 10 using this first method, then please update if it turns out it is not the latest version.
2. Viewing Windows 10 Versions Through WinVer
The second way you can do if you want to find out which version of Windows 10 is installed on your Laptop or Desktop PC is through Winver. This method is also very easy to do, please follow the following steps.
- Please execute the order Winver through the window Run. The trick is please open the window Run (Win + R), then type the command
winverthen click Ok.
- In the window Abount Windows that appears, please pay attention to the sections Version which is the version of Windows 10 that you are using.
Once you know which version of Windows 10 is used using this second method, then please update if you feel it is needed.
That’s the easy way to check which version of Windows 10 is installed on your Laptop or Desktop PC. Please use one of the methods above if you want to find out which version of Windows 10 is used for any purpose.